Tuesday, August 15, 2006

New Blogger Beta

It looks like Google have finally gotten around to bringing out a new and improved version of Blogger. At the moment its only for new users and selected existing users but it will be rolled out to the rest of us eventually.

The look and feel is very similar. The main changes that I am interested in are categories and WISWIG editing of templates. The categories are called Labels. I've been using del.icio.us just to categorize my blog posts for my own use so it would be great to be able to do something similar for people who read my blog. The editor for templates seems a little vague and limited but anything would be an improvement over having to edit html. I wont change my template using it but it's nice to know it's there for new bloggers. They also seem to have fixed Publish which will hopefully stop those frustrating Publishing... 0% screens I keep seeing. There are other additions like RSS feeds which are nice but not on my short list of things I'd like to see changed.

I've signed up for a new account so I can play around with the new settings, which only makes the fact that this blog has not been moved over yet more frustrating. They call it a Beta, but then again Google seem to call everything Beta these days and people still use their applications.

No comments: