Friday, March 10, 2006

Six Shooter

Following my photography post, this is my second arty post, one more to come later. This one was far more entertaining.

I saw the Oscar winning Six Shooter on Channel 4 late on Wednesday night. I have to say I was quite impressed. I had assumed it was an "Irish" movie, i.e. made by Irish people, made in Ireland, but could have been anyplace in the English speaking world. Instead this really is a totally Irish movie, with Iarnród Éireann, the Gardai, Irish landscape and mentions of Ireland featuring prominently.

It's is a dark comedy and very good making me laugh, even when I expected the jokes. To be honest I'm actually surprised it won the Oscar as I would have thought it was too Irish to be understood by an American audience. Rúaidhrí Conroys character swears constantly in that way some Irish people mange to use swearing as standard language. Brendan Gleeson is also quite good as a man quietly bottling up grief. The one quibble I had was the cops were portrayed in typical Kit-Kat advert caricatures.

I'm glad Hollywood awarded it the Oscar instead of some typical Hollywoodd fluff. Hopefully we will see more movies from Martin McDonagh.

No comments: