Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Lenten Diet

Today as most of you probably know is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. As usual I'm giving up alcohol, sweets and chocolate. Some people think I'm crazy but I think it's a good thing. I'm not overly religious, I don't go to mass much or observe other religious holidays. I don't for example have ash on my forehead today. Still people think it's a little strange to give up things, especially alcohol. Though apparently a third of Irish people will give up something this Lent, most will give up the traditional sweets and chocolate and 12% will give up alcohol.

Lent, along with many things religious, isn't fashionable anymore. Yet in a strange way it is perfectly placed to be a popular event in modern society. It would be perfect as a new fad diet. I mean on any other occasion if you gave up alcohol and sweets for 40 days you would just say you were on a diet. With Lent you get a sense of well being and moral achievement as well as a clearly defined start and end for the whole thing. Maybe the Vatican should bring out the Lenten Diet handbook? Look how much money the Atkins diet made. I know previously I've lost between ½ a stone and a full stone. Seems pretty effective to me. Today I am exactly 14 stone (yup, I've put onway too much weight in the last 6 months). Lets see what weight I am in 40 days.

No comments: