I found the following instructions at the office weblog
1. Type about:config into the Firefox location bar.
2. Right-click on the page and select New and then Integer.
3. Name it privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
4. Set the value to 2.
The possible values are:
* 0: Allow all popups from plugins.
* 1: Allow popups, but limit them to dom.popup_maximum.
* 2: Block popups from plugins.
* 3: Block popups from plugins, even on whitelisted sites.Â
And since that didnt work on the Examiner website there is always the flashblock plugin for Firefox. (If you are still using Internet Explorer then you deserve popups :-) )