Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Half Price Art

I keep hearing an advert on the radio for an art sale by Kevin Sharkey. Now I'll admit I wouldn't know art if someone hit me with a frame, wrapped me up in the canvas and dropped me in a vat of paint, but is it not strange to have a half price sale for an artists work advertised on the radio? I also have to ask when did people start buying gift tokens from an artist?

Sharkey an abstract painter, and apparently a good one, but to me the adverts make him sound like the art version of Harvey Norman. Also, if last month I bought a painting and then heard adverts on the radio telling me there was a half price sale going on I think I'd be a bit pissed off. But hell, I've probably never going to buy art like this, I much prefer photography and all the paintings I like are old, hanging in museums and come with security guards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is a bit weird, but doing him no harm. The painting he done for Telethon raised 26,000! It is just a marketing speal. He is moving to new gallery in the IFSC b4 xmas....

Anonymous said...

I agree. what if we had bought a full priced painting last month for say 2000euros and the same sized one can be bought for 1000euros today? Not great business is it. Why would anyone want to buy a painting of his now? Why not wait for the half price sale in the future?