Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Blogger down?

Hmm, blogger is back but it appeared to be down last night. While I could get into the blogger.com posting page I couldn't get to any blogspot.com page.

Like a minor heart attack makes some people aware of their own mortality a blogspot outage suddenly made me very aware of my blogs mortality. I realise blogger is free and handy so I shouldn't really complain but if anything permanent happened to blogger (the same applies to any of the other blog sites) then my blog would go with it.

Suddenly I realise two things. Firstly the need for a local back-up, a function blogger doesn't really provide, so I'll have to get one of those web site download applications. Secondly how useful having my own URL would be, even if just for a redirect.

Things to look into over the Christmas holidays.